What should be included?
Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) guidance states that:
- Landlords/agents must not provide false or misleading advertising statements in property particulars, websites or adverts.
- Care must be taken in both written descriptions, information given verbally and visually including photos.
- Landlords/agents must take care in using broad statements on the condition of the property such as ‘immaculate condition’ or ‘Recently redecorated’.
- An omission is a breach of the CMA guidance, landlords cannot adopt the approach of ‘ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies’.
We would also advise you to:
- Ensure that you are truthful and honest about the property.
- Include any covenants/restrictions if your property is leasehold but ensure that this is noted in order to prevent any confusion with your intentions.
- Identify any unique selling points the property may have.
When adding your property to platform you will need to add the details of the property including the type of furnishings you are offering.
- Furnished is furnished with all a tenant may need (sofa, tables, bed, etc)
- Unfurnished includes white goods only
- Part furnished includes some furniture for example a bed or a few wardrobes
With appliances and white goods, you may want to specify exactly what is available/included in the description so there is no confusion, remember that the person validating this listing will not know this.
If there is a requirement for a parking permit or no parking also include this, this will again avoid any confusion in the long run.
You should include at least 5 photos that give an accurate depiction of the property and we would recommend including a floorplan. Please see our guidance on adding photos to your advert.
You will always need to include a copy of the current EPC for the property which should be an E rating or above unless you hold an exemption. You can upload a crop of the EPC rating if you do not wish to add the full EPC report or first page to the advert.
You will also need to include the Council Tax band for the property.
What should not be included?
- Any information that is unclear, misleading, subjective, discriminatory or defamatory.
- Incorrect information about rental or deposit figures.
- 2 double bedrooms with wardrobes
- No pets
- No under 35s
- No DSS
- No immigrants
- Immaculate kitchen diner
- Enclosed garden, ideal for children
Unclear and misleading
- Available soon
- Low bills
- Fees apply
- Energy efficient combi boiler